Followers

Thursday 17 January 2013

Some very exciting news

Those of you who have been following my blog for awhile know that it has been a dream of mine to open an Etsy shop. I didn't actually expect it to happen it so soon. There is something wonderful when you let yourself dream like you did when you did when you were a child. Before the adults starting saying "That's not going to happen! Choose something more practical! Stop daydreaming."

This time last year I was working at a day care. I absolutely loved the kids. I was working with 2 and 3 year olds and I found them very easy to love. We had dance parties on a regular basis, they gave me hugs when they thought I looked sad, and we did lots of crafts! But the owner of the daycare was another story. She ran the centre as cheaply as possible so she could make more money. The director of the daycare yelled at the children, and the staff on a regular basis. She left me alone for awhile but the day she yelled at me I walked away from that job and didn't look back, even though I felt a lot of guilt about living those beautiful little people in such a horrible situation.

It was February of last year I discovered miniatures and fell head over heels in love. I started reading blogs. I never thought I would end up selling them. And yet here I am.


I may have not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be
 ~ Douglas Adams

My Etsy shop will be open for business by the end of January, and I will be stocking miniature perfume  bottles, vanity sets, spa baskets, and eventually I would like to add items that the elegant miniature lady would require, including purses, trunks, elegant wardrobes, who knows what else? I am going with a shabby chic theme but am new to this technique. The picture I am showing is my first attempt at painting a white dresser with a different color, which I prefer, then applying an antiquing treatment, which comes in the form of a paint top coat (all I can find in my city). I have another white dresser, which I think I will paint a purple/silver color, and follow a tutorial that I have in the form of an article.

I know some of you have more experience in shabby chic than I do, so if you'd like to provide some tips, I wouldn't mind!

That white line is actually a bit of lace, I din't have time to arrange it artfully :) You can click on the photo to enlarge it

I want to thank all my followers from the bottom of my heart. I read all your comments and respond to them personally unless I am sick with the flu or something. Many of you have become dear friends, encouraging me, cheering me up, and cheering me on.

One follower (she knows who she is) emailed back and forth with me daily during November and December. Those months were so hard for me. I was getting almost no sleep, my beloved Grandpa's health weakened until he passed away in early December, and I pretty much fell apart. Of course I did not post about this every day on my blog. That's not what this blog is for. I find it helpful to have a place to come where I can focus on a hobby that brings me such pleasure. I sent my wonderful friend this song not too long ago. She loved it, and I love it too. It's not about bragging, and saying look at me,   I'm the best. You can be proud of yourself and humble as well. This is a song that I listen to when I feel like celebrating, and I feel like celebrating today.


I am grateful for each and everyone of you, that you have chosen to follow along with me, it's an exciting journey when you never know where you'll end up :)

13 comments:

  1. well done Ruth and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful and delicious perfume bottles you have made. If this is your first attempt, you are indeed a clean proffesional. Your dresser is so fine. It looks so good Ruth. I wish you all the best and good luck with your Etsy shop. I cross my fingers for you.

    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!! You made a beautiful beauty set ;)

    Your going to do great in your store, and your wonderful full sized beauty products are a great match to the minis ;P

    <3 Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful beauty set. I like the perfume bottles.
    Good luck with your Esty shop.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's a very cute set and Etsy is very lucky to have you post your things on it :) your post actually made me tear up..you're the best :)

    Love and sending great vibes for your store!
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from Spain: your creations are beautiful, Your doing a great job. I wish you luck with the store. I'm happy to meet you through your blog. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que belleza!!!!! me ha encantado como todo lo que haces. Besos. asunysuscosas.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my shabby chic furniture and houses I just dry brush white on. Some places thicker than others. I love for the wood to show through in places. And on my edges I use brown ink pads. It is so fantastic and puts the age right where it should go. On other pieces I layer and layer the paint. At first it looks like a disaster. But once you get to your third layer(always leaving the other layers showing through in spots) you'll see the magic. Experiment. That's the best way for shabby chic.
    Something else I do is leaving my paint can open for a few days. The paint thickens. And that creates a chippy look when you drag a paintbrush full of the paint one time going in one direction.
    My Etsy shop took forever to take off. Just don't give up if you don't see a sale right away. Just keep going. The sales will come. And just make the things you love, your style. That will make it fun.
    Good luck! Come by anytime if you need any explanations. I know I can get confusing when I try to explain!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes and luck with your etsy shop. Your bottles look great too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes dear Ruth and good luck with your etsy shop.
    I love the perfume bottles. Keep on the good work, practice is what make your work better and better.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes and succes for your etsy shop!
    Greetings
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your Etsy shop! It's one of the more enjoyable things I've done with my mini hobby this past year and it's a great creativity catalyst!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...